Mama Deb (mamadeb) wrote,
Mama Deb


Again, the weekend began on Thursday. This makes sense given my 3-day work week.

I went to Pakua. Again, I had personal instruction because the other woman in my class hurt her back badly and is under doctor's orders to not go for two weeks.

And, just as I was doing a shoulder exercise designed to stretch and loosen the muscles (something I most definitely need. However, I am also clearly looser and more flexible, especially around my hips. This made a difference in. Um. bed.)I got very hot and sweaty and nauseated and dizzy. I stop and tell my instructor. First, I take off my gi, and then I sit down and then I found myself lying flat on my back on the map, with Master Katie telling me to breathe.

We figure it was very low blood sugar and dehydration. When I recover enough, she led me through some very gentle movements and called the class over. And ordered me to go home and eat some fruit. Instead, I walked across the street and called my husband, who was still home. He insisted I call a car instead of taking the bus, something I seriously thought I'd do even though I was dreading the walk from the bus.

I walked into the bodega by the phone, bought an apple and a bottle of water and got the number for a car service, and called it and went home and collapsed. It knocked me out for the rest of the day. I had to cancel going to a friend's house to help her move, as well as shopping for dinner that night and for the Sabbath and for Purim. And jonbaker bought take out for dinner. Have I ever mentioned how much I love him? :)

I felt well enough on Friday to go shopping, but I made the mistake of overeating or maybe I overdid things, because I felt ill that afternoon. Despite that, I made Sabbath dinner. It was supposed to be lamb stew, but the supermarket-that-used-to-be-a-butcher-shop was out of lamb stew meat, so I got veal stew. Kosher veal is all free range - stall veal is sick and not kosher. I also saw some storemade beef sausage, so, on a whim, I bought that, and I got a box of couscous. I couldn't find plain, so I got one with pine nuts. This gave me an idea, so I bought some more pine nuts and dried cherries.

However, by the time I cooked the stew, I didn't care. I mean, I really didn't - it all but burned and I didn't care. This is not normal for me. I did make the couscous (tossing out the flavorings), and dragged myself out the door to pick up my laundry, and on the way back, with a half hour to go, realized I had to cook *lunch*, too. Lunch was to be panfried chicken filet, because I was going to make chicken fajitas on Thursday, and so had it thawed.

Jonathan was home, steeling himself (he wasn't feeling great, either) to get the laundry, so fine. We'd both showered already, which helped as he made the coffee and I made the schnitzel and everything necessary was put in the oven and the lights were set, and as soon as I got into that shabbat robe of mine and lit my candles, I fell into bed and stayed there. Jonathan made kiddush in the bedroom and brought me dinner, of which I ate about 1/3.

The stew came out rather nice, though. Be better with the additional stuff, but I can add those tonight, and will. And I froze half those sausages, which are mildly spicy, and maybe I'll do something with them soon. Real soon.

Baruch HaShem, I felt better on Saturday morning, which was good because we had a bar mitzvah to attend. We've known this young man since he was a baby, and count his parents as close friends. Also, it was Shabbat Zachor, and it is required to attend synagogue that day to hear a special reading.

We got to the synagogue somewhat late, missing the initial morning services and the first two portions of the scheduled reading, which is also our wedding portion. This was not good because the bar mitzvah boy's father is a Levi, and would have gotten the second reading. Yitzchak himself did all the Torah chanting ("leining") and did quite a creditable job from what I could hear. We did get there in time for the maftir, which was the special reading, and for the haftarah. Yitzchak did those as well, *and* led the additional service afterwards.

We all had much to be proud of that morning. The service ended with kiddush - which was seperate because it was a sit down meal and a permanent mechitza (wall) between the sexes. I tried a savory bread pudding and it was delicious.

Lunch at home was salad, bread and the schnitzel, and I tossed some dried cherries and pine nuts into the salad. And at 4:15 I left to go to my Shabbat afternoon discussion, which I was to lead.

And, since I'd been ill two nights in a row, I wasn't as well prepared as I could be. However, I've done this parasha before, and Jonathan had found a way to connect it to Purim, and all in all, it went fairly well. Later, I was told that they liked the way I do these because I come up with original ideas. I like doing them because normally I don't even read the parasha, although I should, and this way not only do I read it, but I also think about it.

Honestly, if they asked, I'd do it every week. Selfish, I know, but I would.

Spent Saturday night catching up on Stargate and Trading Spaces and LJ.

Sunday was gorgeous. Bright and warm and sunny and perfect. I went shopping for Purim, coming home with nuts, various fruits, a bag of hamentashen and several bags in which to put my meager offerings. We are required to give a friend two types of ready to eat food. This will fulfill that. By 4:30PM, I was home, and dressed and ready to go to the party for the bar mitzvah. It took me five minutes - just changed from my skirt and sweater to my good suit and changed from sneakers to shoes. Stuck a hat on my head and I was done. It took Jonathan longer - he had to shower (I'd done that already) and shave his cheeks and brush his long hair (my own long hair was easily bound up) and find his shoes and good pants and a tie and...:)

We called a cab even though the hall was about two blocks from our house because we were carrying a heavy gift - a six-volume desk Talmud, and for a change, got there early. The party was very nice. I sat with a lovely bunch of ladies, including an old friend and the cousin of another, and Jonathan sat with several other science fiction fans. There was also a table full of Yitzchak's classmates - a lovely bunch of very polite boys.

As his mother is in mourning for her father, they had to make special arrangements regarding music so she could attend. Basically, all live music, which a mourner cannot enjoy, would be played after the dinner was over so Judith could leave for another room. But the boys wanted to dance, so they got permission and made their own music - vocal music is permitted. It was really nice.

What wasn't so nice was that, other than one grandmother, all the relatives on both sides boycotted the bar mitzvah. We don't know why. The parents both became religious as adults, so that might be a factor, and I know he's estranged from his father and she from both her parents even before her father passed away, and many people are offended by separate seating at affairs. We ourselves don't really see the need for separate seating, but we also aren't bothered.

Or maybe it was the invitation requesting appropriate clothing and speech, because although I can see the need for that at times, especially if your guest list includes people who may not understand - I've been to religious weddings where women wore strapless dresses - there is no graceful way to phrase that.

Speech refers to gossip, which is not permitted.

Despite everything, though, it was an entirely lovely affair.

  • Yesterday and Jury duty

    Ten years ago Saturday night, according to the Hebrew calendar, my father died. I actually have to look up the English date because it's just not…

  • Yom Tov 5770

    Is finally over! I missed stuff this weekend, of course, but that's okay. Tomorrow, we take down the sukkah and I call about the jury duty (did I…

  • Final Night in the Sukkah

    I guess I didn't post yesterday. So. This is Jonathan's birthday week - his Hebrew birthday is second day Sukkot (when we had friends over for…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 1 comment