1. 1605 - Gunpowder Plot: A plot led by Robert Catesby to blow up the English Houses of Parliament is thwarted when Sir Thomas Knyvet, a justice of the peace, finds Guy Fawkes in a cellar below the Parliament building. Fawkes was later hanged, drawn and quartered for his role in the conspiracy.
2. 1872 - Women's suffrage: In defiance of the law, suffragist Susan B. Anthony votes for the first time, and is later fined $100.
3. 1935 - Parker Brothers releases the board game Monopoly.
1. 1900 - Natalie Schafer, American actress (d. 1991)
2. 1885 - Will Durant, American historian (d. 1981)
1605 - James I of England, (VI Scotland)