Mama Deb (mamadeb) wrote,
Mama Deb
mamadeb

Knives and Fire Internship Day 3

Day 3

Today, I came in at 10AM. Which is a HUMAN hour.

I peeled and sliced a dozen onions. I did so by slicing off the stem and root, removing the skin and then slicing (a bit thin and then a bit thick - ah, well. I'm learning. Next time...) from stem to root. These would be caramelized as a topping for sandwiches.

Then I made the pierogies. These are the roasted cauliflower/potato/cheddar cheese pierogies served on braised collard greens. The potatoes and the cauliflower were already cooked (the cauliflower had been roasted until the edges were brown and crispy.) So, I squished a bunch of cooked redskin potatoes, and mixed them with the cauliflower and shredded cheese and salt and pepper. These were ground (in batches) in a Robot Coupe - a heavy duty food processor - until it was just short of mashed potato. (Pronounced RObo Cou, btw.) Then I made the pierogies.

We used wanton skins. I put about a tablespoon of mixture in the middle of the skin, wet the edge all the way around and then pinched it together. My first few were not very good - in fact, Chef M stepped in to show me better, and thought that I used too much water, although A told him the dough itself was very wet. Still, I paid attention, and decided that the best way to regulate the amount of water was to wet only half the circle.

This worked beautifully, and my final two thirds looked increasingly better. And then I cleaned up.

A decided I'd help her make the pizza dough, but first we had to put away the braised collard greens. Which I'd never had before. These are braised in vinegar and pickling spices for 4 hours and, OH MY GOODNESS. Not cabbagy, and VERY flavorful. (The pierogies would be served over the greens.) And then the gallon containers had to be labeled and stored, and there wasn't room in that reach-in fridge, so we had to take the caramelized onions and the cardamon rice pudding, which were in flat pans, and move them to containers. Which made the room.

Then, using a huge mixer, we made a double recipe of pizza dough (used ten pounds of bread flour.) I helped with my math skillz, because A doesn't like numbers. I also added the salt and water to to the mixer. We made a nice dough, too. Then, using a scale and a pastry scraper, I measured the dough into 5 oz units, which A showed me (twice. Sigh.) how to make into neat balls. We put one dozen on each tray, sprayed each doughball with a circle of Pam and covered the trays with wrap. These were then placed in the fridge.

Then I helped A scrub the worktables and stove. And that was that for the day.
Tags: internship
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 13 comments